Friday, July 24, 2015

A nurse’s 5 tips to “never” get sick....

I hesitate to say I never get sick because whenever you say never, it’s the equivalent to shouting out, “Here I am infectious world! Come and get me!”
It’s the horror movie equivalent to saying, “I’m going to go check this out alone. I’ll be right back.”
It’s the … well, you get the idea. Never say never.
I would say, however, that I rarely get sick. I think part of this is because I spent most of my first year of nursing sick all the time. After a year of coughs, colds, vomiting, and the like, my immune system just got better at the whole immunity thing. But I also think that the following tips may have helped:

1. I am crazy about washing my hands. I carry antimicrobial hand sanitizer everywhere. In every purse, in every gym bag, in every nook and cranny of my house. I even carry it in my car and I sanitize when I get in the car from anything…the grocery store, the gas station, ALL THE TIME!
2. I don’t wear my work shoes in the car or in the house. They stay in the garage, on the front porch, or in the trunk of my car.
3. I try to be SUPER aware of touching my face. Before I do touch my face, eat, put on lipstick or anything I…yes, you guessed it, sanitize.
4. I take a multi-vitamin every day and try to drink at least one liter of water. I know what you don’t use you pee out, but it just makes me feel better.
5. I exercise at least three times per week. It is good for the mind and body. And, I think, for the immune system!!
Fellow nurses, what are your tips to “never” get sick?

No comments: